Here we are!
As I begin to write, we are less than an hour away from the stroke of midnight and the beginning of a New Year. 2018 will bring with it all the opportunity in the world; for those who want it and are willing to seek it out!
This time of year is perfect to sit back and reflect on life; to think about what has happened in the past year and to think about what you really want to achieve over the next twelve months.
For me, the New Year brings with it some very exciting times. My wife Elise and I are expecting our first child, a little baby girl, this year, and my business partner Jackson and I have recently launched our business baby, Aureus Financial.
There is a lot going on in my life in 2018 and I expect a lot of demand on both my time and my energy. This means I need to be more efficient than ever. My business will require my energy and dedication to ensure it grows and thrives; and my little family will require my time and attention to ensure it grows and thrives.
For me, to achieve what I desire most out of 2018, which is to be both a good business man and a good family man, will require very clear goals and a well thought out action plan to achieving them.
I must tell you, I am not an advocate of traditional New Year’s Resolutions. Many people want to make change in their life and the start of a New Year is the perfect time to do so, but it seems that New Year’s Resolutions often turn out to be wishes, rather than goals. There are many ways to achieve what you want in life, but plucking a thought out of the air on New Year’s Eve after downing a couple of schooners is not one of them.
Over the years, I have had a good track record of staying the course and achieving the goals that I have set for myself. Over time, I have managed to systemise the entire to a handful of actionable steps so it can be replicated by anyone.
So, how can you actually achieve what you want in 2018?
- Sit Down and Think! Spend some time by yourself and work out what you really want to achieve next year. Everyone has their own unique set of goals and ambitions, and it is very important that you take the time to work out what yours are. There are no right or wrong answers here, but trust me, if you don’t have any desires or ambitions, it is more than likely you will float through the year, without achieving much or living the lifestyle you desire.
- Write Down Your Goals! Okay, you have spent some time thinking and you know what you want out of next year. Now, you need to write down your goals with as much detail as possible. Explain what you goal is, explain why you have this goal, explain how this goal makes you feel. No one is going to read what you have written, so make it real and get all your thoughts and emotions out of your head and onto paper.
- Summarise Your Goals! Excellent. You have written your goals down with as much detail as possible and this exercise should have given you a deeper insight into how you think and feel about your goals, and the real meaning they have to you in life. Now, I want you to summarise these detailed goals. Simplify them to the point where each goal is only a short, memorable sentence. This will ensure you can bring your deepest goals to mind whenever you need that extra dose of motivation or discipline.
- Break Down Your Goals! Split your goals into smaller, bite sized chunks. Set yourself a reminder every month to review your progress and what actions need to be taken to ensure you steadily make progress towards your goals. As you start each week, put together a weekly strategy to remind you what your bigger goals are and what the smaller steps that must be taken that week are.
- Take Massive Action!Finally, create an action plan every single morning before you start your day. Every single day! This is where everyone falls off the bandwagon. Having the perfectly laid out plan and the best intentions in the world mean nothing without you taking the action necessary required for you to achieve the goals you have set for yourself.
Most people will glaze over Step 1, so if you have given this any thought, congratulations – you are already leaps and bounds ahead of most people. For those who are really dedicated to achieving, you will spend the time and brain energy required to punch out Steps 2, 3 and 4.
The kicker is Step 5. This is where almost everyone falls short.
You must take action.
The greatest ambitions in the world and the most genius ideas imaginable will count for nil if you do not put in the work to actually execute them.
Best of luck!
PS – if you want any tips on refinancing, shoot me through an email! email@example.com